Hawkins Motors has a rich heritage in Cornwall that has helped to shape us as one of the county’s most respected car dealers with years of experience and an unmatchable reputation. We’re proud of our longstanding history and as a family business, we would like to tell our story...
It all began in 1933, when William Henry (Billy) Hawkins rode from Truro to the clay village of St Stephen on his Scott Squirrel motorbike and founded a business which today, thrives as Hawkins Motors.
It was 1940 when the business began to develop, retailing tractors, cars, motorcycles and cycles and in 1946, Hawkins Motors was appointed agent for British motorcycles Arial, BSA, Norton, Vincent, Scott and ETS. It was 1972 when we were appointed Peugeot’s main dealer for Cornwall, and have since gone on to become a Citroen franchise as well as being the county’s exclusive dealers for Hyundai and Kia.
We now have seven locations across Cornwall, but St Stephen still stands as the hub of the business and is far from your average car dealership. Exhibiting memorabilia from decades gone by, with Billy’s very own motorcycle taking pride of place as a solid, reassuring link between past and present. From local history in and around St Stephen to motorcycle exhibits, the display aims to give a little insight into the communities which we have been a part of for over 80 years.
The aptly named Memories Cafe was introduced to our St Stephen branch in 2002 and stands as the perfect place for a coffee stop after browsing the memorabilia and with a soft play area for the children, it’s convenient any time when visiting this dealership.
- 1934 WH Hawkins started trading as a motor vehicle engineer in the village of St Stephen.
- 1940 The business developed, retailing tractors, cars, motorcycles and cycles.
- 1946 Appointed agent for British motorcycles, Arial, BSA, Norton, Vincent, Scott and ETS.
- 1950 Appointed agent for British cars and light commercial vehicles.
- 1972 Appointed Peugeot main Dealer for Cornwall.
- 1973 The business expanded with the purchase of the Hayle dealership and appointed Peugeot.
- 1989 Further expansion with the purchase of the Truro Dealership.
- 1992 The Truro dealership was appointed the Citroen Franchise.
- 1994 The Company was accredited with the Quality Management Standard ISO 9002.
- 1996 The Company opened a used car trade operation in the village of St Stephen.
- 1997 Further expansion with the purchase of the Penryn dealership and appointed Peugeot franchise.
- 1999 The first luxury power cruiser was completed and launched.
- The business completed 2 prototype petrol powered vehicles for children made from recycled golf buggies.
- 2000 Appointed the Kia franchise for Cornwall.
- The Company achieved recognition as an Investor in People.
- Recognised as a finalist in the Motor Trader of the Year awards.
- 2001 Further expansion with an opening of St Austell based Hawkins Motor Centre.
- 2002 Further planed development with the purchase of land at Hayle for 3 purpose built dealerships at the End of Dual carriageway.
- 2003 Expansion of the Blackwater dealership to a 10 bay workshop and reception.
- 2003 Appointed the Hyundai Franchise for Cornwall.
- 2005 New Hayle Site opens with the Peugeot Franchise.
- 2006 Kia opens at Hayle using the new dealership run using existing Hayle staff.
- 2008 The first Motorhome was manufactured.
- 2008 The new purpose build Kia site opens in Hayle
- 2009 St Austell appointed with the Hyundai Franchise.
- 2009 New Truck and Van Centre opens at St Stephen
- 2011 Used Car Dealership opened in Launceston.
- 2012 Appointed with the Mitsubishi franchise
- 2014 Appointed with the Isuzu Pick Up Truck franchise
- 2015 Hawkins Peugeot St Stephen win for the 6th year running a prestigious “Guild of Golden Lion Award” for their outstanding performance and customer service joining the top 10 dealers UK.
- 2016 New purpose built Accident Repair Centre opens in St Stephen.
- 2016 Hawkins Truck & Van centre launch a new website offering online Van sales.
- 2017 Hawkins Peugeot St Stephen win for the 7th year running a prestigious “Guild of Golden Lion Award” for their outstanding performance and customer service joining the top 10 dealers UK.
- Hawkins Penryn expands with the opening of a new purpose built Peugeot showroom.